Please pass this along and check on the sick, shut-in and elderly.
Due to extreme temperatures continuing throughout the region for the coming days, the City of New Haven will be activating “cooling centers” in order to provide relief from the heat for residents who may have no other alternative. If high temperatures and humidity continue after Wednesday, these “cooling centers” will remain open. Please check your local news for additional updates and the City’s website at www.cityofnewhaven.com.
Please be advised that anyone attending a cooling location should bring lunch or snacks as no food will be served at these sites. Seniors are reminded that senior centers require 24-hour notice for senior meals.
The following locations will serve as “cooling centers” for seniors in New Haven and will be open until 4 pm beginning Monday, July 8th:
• Atwater Senior Center, 26 Atwater Street, New Haven
• Dixwell/Newhallville Senior Center, 255 Goffe Street, New Haven (People with wheelchairs will need assistance to help travel up ramp)
• East Shore Senior Center at 411 Townsend Avenue, New Haven
The following locations will serve as a “cooling center” for the general public and will be open until 7pm, beginning Monday, July 8th:
• New Haven Free Public Library, Main Branch, Downtown at 133 Elm Street
• Fair Haven Branch Library, 182 Grand Avenue
• Mitchell Branch Library, 37 Harrison Street
• Stetson Branch Library, 200 Dixwell Avenue (in the Dixwell Plaza)
• Courtland Seymour Wilson Branch Library, 303 Washington Avenue